Advocate for Building Safety and Quality
Acoustics, smoke and fire control, and smart buildings are my areas of focus. They’re also the aspects of architecture that I remain passionate about. I work hard to educate and advance real life applications in these areas, and welcome any opportunities to share my knowledge with others that are active in the construction industry.
With more than a dozen years experience I provide expert consultation to Acoustical Engineers and Architects on getting the best sound performance from operable partitions and folding walls. I have a working knowledge of ASTM E557 and can provide guidance to maximize acoustical performance. Sound control can affect health in that a person’s attention and well-being can be negatively impacted by unwanted noise. This is especially important in learning and working environments.
Building Code Fire and Smoke Safety
Smoke is the number one killer during a structure fire. A building can look beautiful and be energy efficient but it must also provide a safe means of egress for occupants and be able to remain structurally sound for firefighters if there ever is a fire. In addition to marketing a line of innovative smoke and fire curtains, I actively support the following organizations that promote smoke and fire safety:
- The Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE) - was established in 1950 has over 4000 members in the United States and over 75 regional chapters abroad. I’m a member of the New England chapter and have presented short technical educational programs in many chapters throughout the Northeast. The purpose of the Society is to advance the science and practice of fire protection engineering and its allied fields, to maintain a high ethical standard among its members, and to foster fire protection engineering education.
- The Alliance for Fire and Smoke Containment and Control (AFSCC) - was established in 1999 by building code enforcement, construction, design, and manufacturing professionals in response to the need for a well-coordinated, educational effort to promote the value of a balanced fire protection design in the built environment. The charter members are companies, organizations, and individuals within the construction industry who share the following goals:
- To promote fire and smoke resistant construction as part of a balanced design approach
- To promote fire and smoke protection in the built environment
- To promote property protection and public welfare as well as life safety
- To educate and inform code officials and designers on fire and smoke protection issues
- To promote fire fighter safety and facilitate fire fighting activities
For years I have educated architects and engineers on the benefits of “smart” and “green” building concepts. I have been an advocate for energy efficiency since the late 80’s and early 90’s, well before LEED and energy efficient thinking was as popular as it is today. I have always had an interest and admiration for holistic design that takes into account the site, building, and needs of the occupants and hope some day to build a net zero / universal design home for my family.
Products RSM Services Represents
Being in the building products business as a factory employed RSM for as long as I have, I’ve seen and experienced much. Being on the inside I learned a lot about what makes a great product but also, and more importantly, why the company and people behind it are so important.
I am proud and very honored to represent two of the best products I’ve ever encountered. Skyfold and Smoke Guard. These companies have excellent management, have been in business for 20 years or more and manufacture the best products of their type in quality and performance by far.